Hingham Paramedics Save Electrocuted Painter
Hingham paramedics used a cardiac monitor to shock an Electrocuted Painter back to life.
Hingham paramedics revived an electrocuted painter Wednesday morning by sending an electric current through his body and bringing him back to life.
“They saved his life,” said Hingham Fire Chief Mark Duff.
The near-fatal accident occurred at 8:18 a.m. on Lafayette Avenue when a painter was moving a metal ladder and it came into contact with a power line. The lines sent 8,000 volts of electricity through his hands, down his body to his feet, causing him to stop breathing, Duff said.
Hingham paramedics used a cardiac monitor which shocked the victim back to life, Duff explained.
Hingham Deputy Fire Chief Robert Olsson said the painter is lucky to be alive as there is no guarantee that the cardiac monitor will save a victim.
Olsson said the painter was fortunate to have neighbors witness the incident and to have a quality dispatchers from the South Shore Regional Emergency Communication Center direct them on how to administer proper CPR. The dispatch center had also received two other emergency calls at the same time, and were able to handle each one with proper attention, Olsson said
“We are a very capable department, a very well trained department,” Olsson said. “We expect a good response from people all the time. It’s amazing how our capabilities have changed over the years, especially in the area of EMS.”
The painter, who was in his 30s, and works for Falvey Painting Inc. in Hingham, was transported to the South Shore Hospital and later transferred to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Duff confirmed.
Duff did not have an updated condition of the victim, but Channel 7 reported he had burns on his hands from touching the ladder.