Notre Dame Academy Celebrates 160 Years
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur first brought the teachings of Saint Julie Billiart to Boston in 1853.
Notre Dame Academy celebrated its 160th Anniversary with a special Mass and reception earlier this month.
Coinciding with both the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord and the Congregational Feast Day of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, the Mass commemorated NDA’s past, present, and future.
The Liturgy was celebrated by Father Jim Ronan, a son and brother of NDA alumnae. More than 200 people were on campus and attendees included alumnae from the 1940’s through 2000’s, former and current faculty, parents, and students.
The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur brought the teachings of Saint Julie Billiart to Boston in 1853, opening the first Boston Academy of Notre Dame on Lancaster Street in the North End. A second Notre Dame Academy followed in 1854 in Roxbury, eventually boasting both an elementary school and a boarding program.
Today, the 68-acre campus draws students from 40 cities and town, from Boston to Cape Cod. Saint Julie’s edict to “teach whatever is necessary to equip the students for life” has expanded to include Mandarin, neuroscience, engineering, and more. A highly competitive athletic program, expansive campus ministry program, and wide ranging opportunities in the arts and after school make for a dynamic college preparatory environment.
-Notre Dame Academy