I guess the only good thing about the storm today is that we haven’t had to listen to much dribble about the election. It has also given me some time to sit down and write another piece on it. For the record once again, I am a life long Independent. I did vote for Obama last time around and have found his leadership skills to be disappointing. I find the Democratic Party to be incompetent, I find the Republican Party to be dangerous, scary, divisive and a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing (see previous piece).
I am desperate for someone to come forward and lead this country back to fiscal sanity, land of the free and a land of opportunity where a middle class once again thrives.
That being said let’s review a few things: One of the biggest claims by the Romney camp is that he is going to create jobs. Hogwash. I read in an article in the Herald a few weeks ago about how American corporations have more cash than they have ever had in recent history. They are fully capable of spending money on new employees; they don’t need a tax break to do so. They don’t do so because the public is not buying, they have no money.
I am not a big fan of “Obamacare” mainly because there has been so much crap added into it and it is so large that most of us aren’t going to now its real effects until it has already happened. A legislative bill should be simple and not with a bunch of crap added into it. I am so with Reganites on the idea of a line item veto! My main problem with the Obama years is that they have been wasted. President Obama ran on a theme of “Change”. I have not seen any change and worse I have seen a vacuum in the leadership department. This country needs a real leader more than ever right now.
The Romney camp’s calls for reduced taxes for the one percent is ludicrous. If reduced taxes for the 1 percent would be so great for the economy, then how great for the economy would a reduced tax rate on the 99 percent be? That’s right; this is nothing but a self serving ploy for himself and the rest of the 1 percent.
To put this into perspective even more: A-Rod, a NY Yankees star, has a contract that pays him around $24 mil/yr. Assuming approx 410 at bats during the season, he’s making $58k per at bat. Assuming 5 pitches per at bat, he’s making almost 12k per ball that is pitched to him. These figures are not exact but they are close enough to prove the point and the math is correct. At $24 mil/yr I’m not even sure he makes it into the top 1% with so many CEO earnings in the $100mil+/yr.
This is the type of money looking for a tax break. Can we really stand by and think this is the right thing to be done under the circumstances of today. We all would like to pay less taxes; but when the 1 percent is making that type of money is it really fair for them to be paying a lesser tax rate than those who are struggling?
The tax code needs a massive overhaul so that it is fair to everyone, as do Social Security, Medicaide and Medicare. These are the types of things that our President, our Senators and our Congressmen need to be addressing in a truly bi-partisan manner. This is the leadership that is sorely needed from our elected leaders.
The divisive politics of Grover Norquist and the Republican Party has to come to an end in order for this country to regain its strength and stature as a world leader.
Make your voices heard next Tuesday!